Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fredericksburg, Virginia

Greetings! (insert Bob Marley accent)

I depart Washington, DC tomorrow bound for Rome, Italy. I have been in my hometown of Fredericksburg, Virginia since Monday. It has been an interesting week to say the least.


On Monday when I arrived I called my grandmother at 9pm to let her know I had made it safely and would see her soon. When she answered she didn't sound well. As we would later learn, she was having a heart attack at the exact moment I called. It was a remarkable coincidence and a blessing that I chose to call at that moment. My parents and I immediately headed for her house. Fortunately my father is a police officer and was able to dispatch an ambulance quickly without having to use the 911 line. The scene at her house was as one would expect, very frantic and quite scary. She was quickly taken to the ER and thanks to some incredible medical professionals and some amazing medical machinery she is now resting comfortably in the hospital. She may go home as early as this weekend and is doing quite well under the circumstances. Life is crazy.


In addition to the good luck I brought with me from Oregon, I also brought the classic Willamette Valley cold to Virginia. I spent most of the week in bed at my parents home. I blame the Crystal Ballroom, which is like an elementary school with sickness being circulated constantly among everyone. :) I am now on my second round of antibiotics in less than a month, but I am on the mend.






The Labbe Home - Est. 1980


I love being in Fredericksburg and am disappointed I spent most of my week sick and unable to enjoy it more. However today I did manage to squeeze in some Chick Fil A, a Carl's Milkshake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl and a stop at Sammy T's http://www.sammyts.com/ one of my favorite spots in downtown Fredericksburg. I look forward to my return in late December and until then I hope to have the adventure of a lifetime..... Peace Out America.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Glad your grandmother is doing better! We'll keep her and your family in our thoughts!

Carls--oh, it's been SO long.

Safe and wonderful travels.

Spencer said...

Glad to hear your nana is feeling better!

Have fun in europe - tell everyone you're canadian - rock your Celine Dion tee-shirt!

WEGB said...

T, sorry to read about your Granny but very GLAD she is doing better. Have a great trip. Look forward to reading your further adventures. Peace, Ken