Monday, November 10, 2008

Bring On The Comments....

It is with great humiliation that I share today´s story, but it is too good not to tell.

I missed my flight to Pisa today. I fell asleep at the departure gate, merely feet away from the gate and counter. When I woke the plane had just pulled away from the gate. I went to the counter to inquire and the attendants told me they had called my name on the entercom and even delayed a bit to pull my bag off the plane. They laughed at me, and rightfully so. Needless to say, I felt sick when I realized what had happened. I am an idiot. Ha. Oh well, it makes for a good story I guess...but nonetheless, a very expensive and ridiculous story.

There were no more flights out of Barcelona to Pisa today. Alitalia could have gotten me there tomorrow, however it would have taken 12 hours and stops in Milan and Rome before reaching Pisa. Pisa is a 90 min direct flight from Barcelona. So....I now fly direct on Wed to Pisa. How embarrassing to contact Ursula (the owner of the farm in Tuscany) today and tell her what I had done. She apparently has a comparable story from one of her flights to the U.S. and claims we both will laugh.

I hopped the bus into the city am now still in Barcelona until Wed. Not a bad place to be stuck really, worse things can happen. :) But how humiliating.....

To my friend Nick who commented on attending the Barcelona football game - I actually watched that game in an oceanfront pub on the Mediterranean in Sitges! I had no idea it was happening, otherwise I would have tried to attend. The owner of the pub was present and spoke decent english. He explained to me the standings, the league, etc. It was as if they were playing a high school team, they killed Villadolid 6-0, and the score reflected their performance. But I am now hooked for sure...me, you, Hendric, and some Stella in the `Couv watching football when I return!

So there is my ridiculous story....I still cringe when thinking about it, but tomorrow I may take advantage of the mishap and venture to Monserrat http://www.sacred-destinations.com/spain/montserrat-shrine.htm or Figueres, birthplace of Salvador Dali...I´ll try not to sleep through the train stop....Ugh.....

I miss my dog, Mercy.....

2 comments:

Shane said...

Why were you so tired Dad?

Magnolia Mayers said...

Classic. I am sure that they yelled and made a great effort to get el americano dormiendo on the plane.... But really, now an extra couple days in Spain on the mediterranean! Enjoy.