Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Never minded working hard, its who Im working for...."

I just completed my last day of work at Podere Vallari. Tomorrow I will take the train to Pisa. I will have spent 8 nights on the farm and it was a great experience. I highly recommed it to others. Over the 6 days of work in the fields we harvested over 1200lbs of olives. Crazy. Tomorrow I hope to ship oil to both Portland and Fredericksburg before I leave the Cecina area. The best part about this is that Ursula went to the mill today, so the oil I will be shipping will be made from olives I helped harvest!

Happy Birthday to Darryl Labbe and Bob McHardy! Both celebrated birthdays yesterday and both are incredible fathers. I could hear the partying going on last night in Charlotte and Fredericksburg all the way over here in Italy.... Good times!

Many thanks to my close friend Paul, an organic farmer in Portland, who put me in touch with Ursula and Sigismund. Without you this experience would not have been possible....you pimp.....I really appreciate it....

From here I will take the train to Pisa to explore for a day, then explore Lucco for a day, then off to Cinque Terre, one of my top destinations for this entire trip. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Cinque+Terre

Well, tomorrow Im off to get my lean on....get it? Lean on....Leaning Tower of Pisa....oh yeah, you get it...and you love it.....

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding shipping wine to the US? Podere Vallari (Sigismund and Ursula) make incredible wine and I would love to ship some back, but we are all unsure if its legal. They have been told they have to go through a US importer. Hit me with a comment if anyone knows for sure.

Mmmm....olive oil.....

1 comment:

jvl said...

Hey Travis,

I just caught up on your entries from the last couple weeks. I'm really happy for you. It sounds you're having a blast. No surprise there.

However, I haven't read anything about you harassing people, arguing about NASCAR or football, or dancing on the table. Don't tell me you're toning it down over there.

Oh, I have an idea how to bring wine over here. DRINK IT.

Your stories are making me chomp at the bit to go on a trip. Luckily I am soon. Two words: Guatemala. Karen.

Enjoy, my brother.

The Kraut