Sunday, November 16, 2008

Podere Vallari - Day 5

An organic farmer is not an electrician. However, an organic farmer and a production manager can almost make an electrician...almost.... :)

On Friday night during a wicked wind storm my cottage lost power. Last night I went without power which was awesome....full moon so bright you could work under it....fire in the fireplace...one candle....overlooking the tuscan valleys....absolutely ridiculous.....it was amazing.

Today Sigismund and I woke with the intention of diagnosing the lost power issue, rather than harvesting. We followed the signal flow, had power coming out of the metered source, but nothing at the cottage. FINALLY, we smelled burning in the underground condiut....very long story short, we pulled the whole main power cable from underground to find it had been eaten and badly burned/melted by some animal. No wind storm damage, just varmits!

Next we ran an extension cord and did some wiring that would make my father as well as every sound guy I know cringe..Sigismund made fun of me for insisting we at least wrap the bare wire in duct tap...classic.....I now have hot water and one lamp. I love it. We hope to install the new cable this week underground. Organic farmer style....all in house....Lord help us.

Tomorrow morning its back to the grove for more harvesting.

The weather was GORGEOUS today. Over 60, clear and sunny.

This afternoon allowed time for a short solo hike into the hills and farmlands. Unbelievable...sunset over the valleys with clear views of the Medeterranean and the islands off the coast.....beyond description.....the sunset, the olive groves, the vineyards, the hills...all farms...leading to the sea.....enough said...pictures dont even come close to representing what it looked like.

Tonight...pancakes and wine for dinner....this is living! I will be here until at least Thurs and I may come back after hitting Pisa, Lucco, and Cinque Terre...they really need the help with this years harvest.....

Tonight I put Ursula and Sigismund on Skype and donated my headset-mic. :) Bringing technology to the Tuscan Farm!

Also, I had failed to mention that on most evenings thunderstorms roll in off the sea. It is incredible...booming thunder, streaks of lighting across the hills, wind....all with the fireplace, my one candle, my tuscan villa, the sunsets, the olive groves, the vineyards, the wine....and my duct taped bare wire for hot water.....does it get any better than this? Sigh....if only Mercy were here..... There are like 12 cats here, my Mom would be in heaven...however, on my very first day on the farm I had to bury one that died right on the porch. I buried it in the field...farmer style....Iƶll end on that note. :) Goodnight America! Ha.

No comments: