Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cinque Terre - Riomaggiore

Yesterday I braved the elements and took the train from La Spezia to the first village of the Cinque Terre - Riomaggiore. I picked up the trail there and hiked through the first 3 villages and took many pics, some of which I was able to upload last night. The weather improved and while gray skies persisted a bit, it didnt rain on me much at all.

While I was in Riomaggiore, on a whim, I popped into a Property Mgmt office to inquire about apartments. I met a very nice man named Dominico who had a few to offer at prices I couldnt believe. It is the lowest of the low season here now as the fishing season just ended, apparently many apts and rooms are sitting empty. I still couldnt believe the prices he was offering. I agreed to meet with him this morning and go from there.

I am now in Riomaggiore. I left La Spezia this morning by train and reconnected with Dominico. He showed me three apts, all were insanely cheap. I chose one with a balcony right on the water. :) Its a very nice one bedroom apt, with a kitchen, private bath, and beautiful (and huge) balcony hanging over the rocks with the sea crashing below. Its insane. I took pics, but the computers at this internet point dont allow external hardware, so Im not sure when I.ll get to upload any. From here I will explore the other 4 villages each day and hike the many miles of trails connecting each. Ive already made my first trip to the market for pasta, vegetables, bread, cheese, and wine. I.ll feel like a local after being here a week!

Needless to say, Im in a bit of heaven...in Cinque Terre for at least the next 5+ days....no worries about navigating trains or buses or where to go next....and staying in accomodations I never dreamed I would stumble into for so few euros.

Im hoping to find an internet point in one of the other villages that will allow me to upload pics of my apt and more of the gorgeous surroundings. I still have yet to explore Vernazza or Monterosso.

Someone tell Steve Laggizzino Im thinking of him right now. :)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Peace, T

1 comment:

Spencer said...

WOW! Amazing! Those pics represent my "dream Europe". Beautiful.